Re: BUG #14416: checkpoints never completed

From: Jonathon Nelson <jdnelson(at)dyn(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14416: checkpoints never completed
Date: 2016-11-07 19:48:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> jdnelson(at)dyn(dot)com writes:
> > We encountered a problem where checkpoints appeared to queue up and never
> > finish.
> > 01:08:27 the system clock was synchronized. It was behind by about one
> > hour.
>
> I wonder if this is a problem similar to the autovacuum issue we fixed
> in da1a9d0f5, ie perhaps moving the system clock setting confuses the
> checkpoint timing logic.

That is more or less what we were thinking as well.

> What checkpoint-related settings are you using? Can you be more specific
> about the system clock change?

checkpoint_completion_target = 0.85
checkpoint_segments = 2048
checkpoint_timeout = 60

We have noticed that the system clock has not been the most reliable. In
this case, though, there is only evidence of a single clock correction at
the noted time. No other corrections or drift during the actual event were
detected, but that doesn't mean that there weren't any.

--
Jon Nelson