Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15

From: Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: adherent postgres <adherent_postgres(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(at)orioledata(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15
Date: 2022-12-09 14:29:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 16:54, adherent postgres <
adherent_postgres(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Aleksander Alekseev
> I think the xids 32bit transformation project has been dragged on for too
> long. Huawei's openGauss referenced this patch to implement xids 64bit, and
> Postgrespro also implemented xids 64bit, which is enough to prove that
> their worries are redundant.I think postgresql has no reason not to
> implement xid 64 bit. What about your opinion?

Yeah, I totally agree, the time has come. With a high transaction load,
Postgres become more and more difficult to maintain.
The problem is in the overall complexity of the patch set. We need more
reviewers.

Since committing such a big patch is not viable once at a time, from the
start of the work we did split it into several logical parts.
The evolution concept is more preferable in this case. As far as I can see,
there is overall consensus to commit SLRU related
changes first.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Orlov.