Re: Testing truthiness of GUC variables?

From: Abelard Hoffman <abelardhoffman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testing truthiness of GUC variables?
Date: 2014-09-16 05:33:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 5:39 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> wrote:

> Abelard Hoffman <abelardhoffman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> >> Boolean values can be written as on, off, true, false, yes, no,
> >> 1, 0 (all case-insensitive) or any unambiguous prefix of these.
> >
> > is there a built-in function I can call, given the value from
> > current_setting('myapp.audit'), that will test it using the same
> > logic?
>
> You can *set* a boolean setting with any of those, but that doesn't
> mean it will be stored as the string you used:

Thanks, but I meant for user defined variables:

test=# set myapp.foo = true;
SET
test=# show myapp.foo;
myapp.foo
-----------
true
(1 row)

test=# set myapp.foo = on;
SET
test=# show myapp.foo;
myapp.foo
on
(1 row)

I realize now though that all I need to do is cast it to bool:

test=# set myapp.foo = FA;
SET
test=# select current_setting('myapp.foo')::bool;
current_setting
(1 row)