Re: Use fadvise in wal replay

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Jakub Wartak <jakub(dot)wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kirill Reshke <reshke(at)double(dot)cloud>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use fadvise in wal replay
Date: 2022-07-18 14:04:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 23 Jun 2022, at 12:50, Jakub Wartak <jakub(dot)wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Thoughts?

I've looked into the patch one more time. And I propose to change this line
+ posix_fadvise(readFile, readOff + RACHUNK, RACHUNK, POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED);
+ posix_fadvise(readFile, readOff + XLOG_BLCKSZ, RACHUNK, POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED);

Currently first 128Kb of the file are not prefetched. But I expect that this change will produce similar performance results. I propose this change only for consistency, so we prefetch all data that we did not prefetch yet and going to read. What do you think?

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.