Re: psql - better support pipe line

From: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - better support pipe line
Date: 2015-08-27 09:54:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi

>> Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> writes:
>> > What I've had problems with is trying to correlate psql specified
>> > connection attributes with things like DBI. It would be nice if there
>> > was a way to get a fully formed connection URI for the current
>> connection.
>>
>> Yeah, although I'd think the capability to create such a URI is libpq's
>> province not psql's. Maybe a PQgetConnectionURI(PGConn) function in
>> libpq, and some psql backslash command to access that? Or maybe a nicer
>> API would be that there's a magic psql variable containing the URI; not
>> sure.
>>

> proof concept of PQGetConnectionUri and \uri command.

I like the idea, thanks!

> missing:
>
> connection options
> uri encoding

Attached adds implementation of both. Still missing:

- documentation

Maybe we should provide a bool parameter to this new function so that
additional parameters could be ignored. Right now it will print a few
default values, that are of no great use anyway:

$ ./bin/psql -c '\uri' 'postgresql://username@/postgres'
postgresql:/username@
:5432/postgres?client_encoding=UTF8&fallback_application_name=psql&sslmode=disable

I don't think we can detect and remove the default values from this output
in a reliable way?

--
Alex

Attachment Content-Type Size
PQgetConnectionUri-v2.patch text/x-patch 4.7 KB