Re: Predicting query runtime

From: Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
To: Vinicius Segalin <vinisegalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Predicting query runtime
Date: 2016-09-12 15:08:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Vinicius Segalin <vinisegalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to find a way to predict query runtime (I don't need to be
> extremely precise). I've been reading some papers about it, and people are
> using machine learning to do so. For the feature vector, they use what the
> DBMS's query planner provide, such as operators and their cost. The thing
> is that I haven't found any work using PostgreSQL, so I'm struggling to
> adapt it.
> My question is if anyone is aware of a work that uses machine learning and
> PostgreSQL to predict query runtime, or maybe some other method to perform
> this.

Hi,

I'm not aware of machine-learning techniques to achieve that (and I don't
actually believe it's feasible), but there you might find this extension
particularly useful:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/pgstatstatements.html

Can you share some links to the papers you are referring to (assuming these
are publicly available)?

Regards,
--
Alex