Re: pg_dump seems to be broken in regards to the "--exclude-table-data" option on Windows.

From: Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
To: tutiluren(at)tutanota(dot)com
Cc: Pgsql Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump seems to be broken in regards to the "--exclude-table-data" option on Windows.
Date: 2020-07-29 08:24:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 12:40 AM <tutiluren(at)tutanota(dot)com> wrote:

> > come up with a minimal and self-contained reproducer, so that someone
> who does can try it and see what you see on your end. So far you have only
> provided some terminal invocations accompanied by error messages and vague
> descriptions of comparing the actual and expected output of pg_dump.
>
> Did you miss my e-mail starting with "After taking a longer break from my
> problem, I have now made a fresh, clean, scientifically conducted
> experiment in order to truly get to the bottom of this annoying problem
> once and for all."? (I don't now how I'd link to it.) There I go through
> everything with full commands and a minimal test database (which I also
> describe how I created).
>
> I don't see how I could possibly create a smaller or clearer example of
> the issue. Whatever "strange things" cmd.exe does clearly doesn't show up
> for my cross-platform PHP CLI script. (I guess it's theoretically possible
> that PHP for Windows does some sort of "processing" automatically which
> pg_dump lacks, but I doubt it.)

I haven't missed that. I'm trying to point out that your description of
the problem is not self-contained: it lacks the schema definitions and test
data.

Didn't you mention that once you could overcome the runtime errors you
still have seen some unexpected output from pg_dump? A script that one can
download and run on their (Windows) system would help to confirm the
problem (if it does reproduce on others' systems) and speed up diagnosys
and a fix, if required.

My expectation from such a script is, that it:

1. Connects to a postgres server on localhost:5432.
2. Creates a test database and re-connects to it.
3. Creates the test schema and table(s), and populatest the tables with the
test data.
4. Issues the pg_dump command.
5. Compares the resulting output to the expected one (or runs checks
against the output produced by pg_dump).

Kind regards,
--
Alex