Re: More stable query plans via more predictable column statistics

From: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More stable query plans via more predictable column statistics
Date: 2016-03-02 16:10:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 02/08/2016 03:01 PM, Shulgin, Oleksandr wrote:

>> I've incorporated this fix into the v2 of my patch, I think it is
>> related closely enough. Also, added corresponding changes to
>> compute_distinct_stats(), which doesn't produce a histogram.
>>

> I think it'd be useful not to have all the changes in one lump, but
> structure this as a patch series with related changes in separate chunks. I
> doubt we'd like to mix the changes in a single commit, and it makes the
> reviews and reasoning easier. So those NULL-handling fixes should be in one
> patch, the MCV patches in another one.

OK, such a split would make sense to me. Though, I'm a bit late as the
commitfest is already closed to new patches, I guess asking the CF manager
to split this might work (assuming I produce the patch files)?

--
Alex