Re: All Taxi Services need Index Clustered Heap Append

From: Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <me(at)komzpa(dot)net>
To: Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: All Taxi Services need Index Clustered Heap Append
Date: 2018-03-05 12:11:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This approach mixes well with hash
> partitioning. It would be neat indeed if PostgreSQL do something
> equivalent on its own, and pluggable storage work being done could
> enable index organized tables that would help. But you probably need
> something right now.

Fixing glaring issues (no vacuum and thus no Index-Only Scan on append-only
tables, vacuum processing all of the eternity of btree) by 11 will get most
of spike-nails out of the microservice code, and we can probably live with
them until 11 gets to RDS.

I also don't see why a pluggable storage is a must for the clustered write.
Postgres does have a mechanism for selecting the next page to write tuple
to, right now it's just looking at FSM - but what if it just peeked at
existing index that already has enough the data to route tuple to correct
page on write?

> I guess I don't have to tell you that it looks like your needs have
> outgrown what RDS works well with and you are in for a painful move
> sooner or later.

Painful move where to? If we just run a Postgres instance without RDS we'll
get the pain of setting up Postgres and replication and backups and
autofailover, with no visible gain except if we get some private /
unaccepted patches applied to it. If we can get these things right upstream
why would we want to switch?

Per my colleagues, MySQL offers clustered index, also MySQL is available on
RDS without the need of "painful move", which is doable by writing to two
locations for a day and then pointing readers to new DB. But if we can
instead do no move and be sure the issues are gone upstream before we hit
the limit of spike-nails we're running on currently, wouldn't that be
better? :)

Darafei Praliaskouski,
GIS Engineer / Juno Minsk