Re: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wrong results using initcap() with non normalized string
Date: 2019-09-22 11:15:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 2:42 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2019-Sep-20, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > If we're going to start worrying about non-normalized characters,
> > I suspect there are far more places than this one that we'd have
> > to consider buggy :-(.
>
> I would think that we have to start somewhere, rather than take the
> position that we can never do anything about it.
>
> (ref: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/53E179E1.3060404%402ndquadrant.com )

This conversation is prior to having the normalization code available
[1]. Nowadays this particular issue seems like low hanging fruit, but
I agree it would be problematic if it was the only normalization-aware
function, although most functions are sure to be troubleless if
nothing has been reported before.

The attached patch addresses the comment about assuming UTF8.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

[1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=60f11b87a2349985230c08616fa8a34ffde934c8

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-initcap-non-normalized-string-v1.patch application/octet-stream 2.7 KB