Re: More time spending with "delete pending"

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More time spending with "delete pending"
Date: 2020-11-16 12:52:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 4:00 PM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> As I've found out, readdir() replacement for Windows in fact gets all
> the needed information (correct file size, attributes...) in
> WIN32_FIND_DATA, but it just leaves it inside and returns only fields of
> the dirent structure. So pg_ls_dir_files() (that calls
> ReadDir()/readdir()) needs to get this information again, that leads to
> opening a file on Windows.
> I think it can be done more effectively by adding a new function
> ReadDirExtendedInfo(), that will additionally accept a pointer to
> "struct dirent_extra" with fields {valid (indicating that the structure
> is filled), attributes, file size, mtime}. Maybe the advanced function
> could also invoke stat() inside (not on Windows).
>
> As to patch I proposed before, I think it's still needed to fully
> support the following usage pattern:
> stat();
> if (no_error) {
> do_something();
> } else if (file_not_found) {
> do_something_else();
> } else {
> error();
> }

We are currently missing a WIN32 lstat() port. I was thinking about
proposing a patch to implement it using GetFileAttributesEx(). That might
work as fall back to the CreateFile() if the file attribute is not a
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT.

Anyhow, I do not think any retry logic should be in the stat() function,
but in the caller.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha