Re: BUG #16825: When building on Windows, cl /? retrun 'x64' not AMD64 and the build does not create x64 environment

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: robionekenobi(at)bluewin(dot)ch
Subject: Re: BUG #16825: When building on Windows, cl /? retrun 'x64' not AMD64 and the build does not create x64 environment
Date: 2021-01-18 22:42:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 7:22 PM <robionekenobi(at)bluewin(dot)ch> wrote:

> Hi again,
>

> I searched a little bit more, and this occurs only if the drive where I
> run the ‘cl /?’ Is a ‘Subst Drive’
>

> Therefor, I’ve changed this to a real Drive, and the error does no more
> occurs. It is a bug in windows with ‘Subst drive’ probably
>

> So, you can either close the bug, or change the ‘cl /?’ by a ‘cl /help’
> (which is also an official cl option)

Thanks for the reproducible example, it behaves like that for me too.

I guess 'cl' is interpreting "/?" as filename, not as option, when the
current path is a ‘Subst Drive’. If you call 'cl /? foo' it works, and also
if you create a one-letter named dummy file inside the ‘Subst Drive’.

I would close this report noting that using a ‘Subst Drive’ is problematic
anyhow, as other scripts might also fail when navigating the expected
folder layout.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha