Re: pg_upgrade

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Загороднев Роман Евгеньевич <re(dot)zagorodnev(at)npff(dot)ru>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2019-12-27 12:41:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 5:03 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 4:26 PM Загороднев Роман Евгеньевич
> <re(dot)zagorodnev(at)npff(dot)ru> wrote:
> >
> > FS - NTFS.
> > Used different version (10, 12) and result always the same. In log I see
> that links was created. But pg_upgrade copies all databases. In destination
> data folder I see files, not links, and if no free space on disk for copy
> all data, error appear while upgrade.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no idea what encoding you used, so I can't read
> the file. I tried some windows encoding but no luck, can you send the
> file in utf8 or mention which encoding you're using? Could you also
> specify the full pg_upgrade command line you're using?

Hard links are not easy to distinguish from regular files in Windows.
If you identify a file path from a relation in a user database, like so:

test=# select pg_relation_filepath(c.relname::text) from pg_class c
test-# join pg_namespace n on n.oid = c.relnamespace
test-# where n.nspname not in ('information_schema', 'pg_catalog') and
c.relkind = 'r' limit 1;
pg_relation_filepath
base/16384/16385
(1 row)

And then check the links of this file:

C:\> fsutil hardlink list %PGDATA%/base/16384/16385

You should see two locations. Can you please confirm this?

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha