Re: PG compilation error with Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: davinder singh <davindersingh2692(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG compilation error with Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019
Date: 2020-04-24 08:54:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 7:47 AM davinder singh <davindersingh2692(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:49 PM Juan José Santamaría Flecha <
> juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:00 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks, I will verify these. BTW, have you done something special to
>>> get the error messages which are not in English because on my Windows
>>> box I am not getting that in spite of setting it to the appropriate
>>> locale. Did you use ICU or something else?
>>>

>> If you are trying to view the messages using a CMD, I do not think is
>> possible unless you have the OS language installed. I read the results from
>> the log file.
>>
> I have checked the log file also but still, I am not seeing any changes in
> error message language. I am checking two log files one is by enabling
> Logging_collector in the conf file and the second is generated using
> "pg_ctl -l" option.
> I am using windows 10.
> Is there another way you are generating the log file?
> Did you install any of the locales manually you mentioned in the test file?
> Maybe Postgres is not able to get all the installed locales from the
> system in my case. Can you confirm if you are getting different results in
> pg_collation?
> <http://www.enterprisedb.com/>

Hmm, my building environment only has en_US and es_ES installed, and the
db has the same collations.

I am not sure it is a locale problem, the only thing that needed some
configuration on my end to make the build was related to gettext. I got the
libintl library from the PHP repositories [1] (libintl-0.18.3-5,
precompiled at [2]) and the utilities from MinGW (mingw32-libintl
0.18.3.2-2).

[1] https://github.com/winlibs/gettext
[2] https://windows.php.net/downloads/php-sdk/

Regards,