Re: BUG #15858: could not stat file - over 4GB

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, williamedwinallen(at)live(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15858: could not stat file - over 4GB
Date: 2019-09-04 21:47:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Thanks for looking into this.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 11:49 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Directly editing the configure script is Not Done ... or at least,
> such changes wouldn't survive the next correctly-done configure
> update. You have to edit configure.in (or one of the sub-files in
> config/) and then regenerate configure using autoconf.
>
> It seems likely that we *don't* need or want this for Cygwin;
> that should be providing a reasonable stat() emulation already.
> So probably you just want to add "AC_LIBOBJ(win32_stat)" to
> the stanza beginning
>
> I'd also recommend that stat() fill all the fields in struct stat,
> even if you don't have anything better to put there than zeroes.
> Otherwise you're just opening things up for random misbehavior.

Fixed.

> I'm not in a position to comment on the details of the conversion from
> GetFileAttributesEx results to struct stat, but in general this
> seems like a reasonable way to proceed.

Actually, due to the behaviour of GetFileAttributesEx with symbolic
links I think that using GetFileInformationByHandle instead can give a
more resilient solution. Also, by using a handle we get a good test
for ERROR_DELETE_PENDING. This is the approach for the attached patch.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-WIP-support-for-large-files-on-Win32-v4.patch application/octet-stream 12.2 KB