Re: Windows default locale vs initdb

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows default locale vs initdb
Date: 2022-07-20 10:26:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 4:47 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> As for whether "accordingly" still applies, by the logic of of
> win32_langinfo()... Windows still considers WIN1252 to be the default
> ANSI code page for "en-US", though it'd work with UTF-8 too. I'm not
> sure what to make of that. The goal here was to give Windows users
> good defaults, but WIN1252 is probably not what most people actually
> want. Hmph.

Still, WIN1252 is not the wrong answer for what we are asking. Even if you
enable UTF-8 support [1], the system will use the current default Windows
ANSI code page (ACP) for the locale and UTF-8 for the code page.

[1]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/setlocale-wsetlocale?view=msvc-170

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha