Re: Postgres Windows build system doesn't work with python installed in Program Files

From: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>, Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Windows build system doesn't work with python installed in Program Files
Date: 2020-07-04 19:17:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 2:06 AM David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca> wrote:

> On 2020-05-06 10:45 p.m., Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 12:17:03AM +0200, Juan José Santamaría Flecha
> wrote:
> >> Please forgive me if I am being too nitpicky, but I find the comments a
> >> little too verbose, a usage format might be more visual and easier to
> >> explain:
> >>
> >> Usage: build [[CONFIGURATION] COMPONENT]
> >>
> >> The options are case-insensitive.
> >> CONFIGURATION sets the configuration to build, "debug" or "release" (by
> >> default).
> >> COMPONENT defines a component to build. An empty option means all
> >> components.
> > Your comment makes sense to me. What about the attached then? On top
> > of documenting the script usage in the code, let's trigger it if it
> > gets called with more than 3 arguments. What do you think?
> >
> > FWIW, I forgot to mention that I don't think those warnings are worth
> > a backpatch. No objections with improving things on HEAD of course.
>
> It would be a bonus if the build.pl can support the "help" in Windows'
> way.

Going through the open items in the commitfest, I see that this patch has
not been pushed. It still applies and solves the warning so, I am marking
it as RFC.

Adding a help option is a new feature, that can have its own patch without
delaying this one any further.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha