Procedure of modification of autoconf scripts

From: Ian Zagorskikh <izagorskikh(at)cloudlinux(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Procedure of modification of autoconf scripts
Date: 2021-04-22 05:46:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Can you please explain the process of adding new items into autoconf
scripts? Specifically into configure.ac. For example, if I want to add a
new --with-foo argument, let's say a new 3rd party library. What should I
do after proper configure.ac modification? Should I also re-generate
configure script with local autoreconf? My doubts are that changes to
configure script can be rather huge and likely conflicting with other
patches that possibly do the same. Thanks!

--
Best Regards,
Ian Zagorskikh