Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres

From: Joy Arulraj <jarulraj(at)cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, dandl <david(at)andl(dot)org>, Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>, kang joni <kangjoni76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] C++ port of Postgres
Date: 2016-08-17 00:41:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:

> On 8/16/16 12:53 PM, Joy Arulraj wrote:
>
>> > The whole thing would make a lot more sense given a credible design
>> > for error handling that keeps both languages happy.
>>
>> Well, getting so that we can at least compile in both systems would
>> certainly increase the chances of somebody being willing to work on
>> such a design. And if nobody ever does, then at least people who want
>> to fork and do research projects based on PostgreSQL will have
>> slightly less work to do when they want to hack it up. PostgreSQL
>> seems to be a very popular starting point for research work, but a
>> paper I read recently complained about the antiquity of our code base.
>> I prefer to call that backward-compatibility, but at some point people
>> stop thinking of you as backward-compatible and instead think of you
>> as simply backward.
>>
>> I agree, this was the main reason why we wanted to add support for C++.
>>

> Joy, do you have an idea what a *minimally invasive* patch for C++ support
> would look like? That's certainly the first step here.

Jim -- I believe that the patch will be roughly 6K lines long. The majority
of the changes correspond to handling language keyword conflicts.

https://github.com/jarulraj/postgresql-cpp/compare/182656bf32b99c96e5cd9dc59ece4c20149787fb...7ef6f472b53a83a4cedd0222b41345c0f74fae1e

I must mention that some of the changes I have made preclude the
possibility of supporting compilation with both C and C++ compilers.
However, I am certain that this limitation can be circumvented with some
clever hacking.