Re: NOT IN vs. NOT EXISTS performance

From: Lincoln Swaine-Moore <lswainemoore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOT IN vs. NOT EXISTS performance
Date: 2018-11-10 00:06:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks, both!

That's a very interesting thread. I was confident this was a subject that
had been discussed--just wasn't sure where--so thank you for forwarding.

I guess the big-picture summary is that NOT IN's definition introduces
complexity (the nature of which I now understand better) that is usually
unwarranted by the question the querier is asking. So NOT EXISTS will
almost always be preferable when a subquery is involved, unless the
behavior around NULL values is specifically desired.

--
Lincoln Swaine-Moore