Re: Typo in "13.2.3. Serializable Isolation Level"

From: Eric Mutta <eric(dot)mutta(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Typo in "13.2.3. Serializable Isolation Level"
Date: 2021-06-05 11:37:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

> That sentence is a suggestion of an action for the reader to take,
conditionally upon verifying that such things are no longer necessary.

I see, that makes sense now, I was parsing the sentence differently.
Perhaps for clarity those explicit locks could be mentioned in brackets so
the sentence reads:

> "Eliminate explicit locks (SELECT FOR UPDATE and SELECT FOR SHARE) where
no longer needed due to the protections automatically provided by
Serializable transactions."

That way, the intent of "where no longer needed" being a conditional
suggestion is closely connected to the "eliminate explicit locks"
instruction. Essentially without the bracketed part it would read:

> "Eliminate explicit locks...where no longer needed..."

I believe adding brackets would help but in any case, it's not a big deal
and I extend my thanks to all the people working on the Postgres docs (as a
new user adopting Postgres for my next take-over-the-world project, the
comprehensive docs are pure gold!).

Many thanks,
Eric Mutta.