pg_multixact/members growing

From: Tiffany Thang <tiffanythang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_multixact/members growing
Date: 2018-05-22 19:22:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
Our pg_multixact/members directory has been growing to more than 18GB over
the last couple of months. According to the documentation, the files in
there are used to support row locking by multiple transactions and when all
tables in all databases are eventually scanned by VACUUM, the older
multixacts are removed. In our case, the files are not removed. Any
suggestions what I should do to purge the files automatically? Can old
files since the last reboot be manually removed?

PG version: 9.6.8

autovacuum_multixact_freeze_max_age is the default 400000000. After reading
the documentation, I'm still not clear what this parameter does and if it
should be adjusted. Can someone explain?

Thanks.