Adding Markodwn formatting to psql output

From: Lætitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Adding Markodwn formatting to psql output
Date: 2018-05-29 15:11:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I write often documents for my customers in MarkDown to produce pdf
documents. Quite often, I need to present data from queries in a tabular
form.

Psql output provides formatting in text (aligned and unaligned), HTML,
latex, JSON (and so many more) but not in MarkDown. The aligned output is
quite similar to the MarkDown output. It seems quite easy to develop (so,
pretty great for my first real patch). To toggle it, I imagine, we could
use `pset markdown`.

My colleague (Jean-Christophe Arnu) and I worked a little on it, but I
think the difficulty lies in the "Do we want/need to add that feature ?"
question.

On the Pros side, I have "I would love it and use it all the time". On the
Cons side, I have "There are multiple flavors of markdown, which one do we
need to implement".

Any thoughts ?

Regards,

Lætitia
--
*Think! Do you really need to print this email ? *
*There is no Planet B.*