Re: How can I use a dynamic column name after NEW. or OLD. in trigger procedure?

From: Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Devoy <peter(at)3xe(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can I use a dynamic column name after NEW. or OLD. in trigger procedure?
Date: 2016-01-19 22:29:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Peter Devoy <peter(at)3xe(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> As part of the extension I am writing I am trying to create a trigger
> procedure in which the value of the primary key of the NEW or OLD row
> is used. The trigger will be fired by arbitrary tables so the column
> name must be dynamic. Something like:
>
> pk_column := 'foo_id'; --example assignment only

One way to define the pk_column for each table is to define it as a
parameter on the CREATE TRIGGER on each table. You can then use that inside
of the trigger function.

CREATE TRIGGER foo_trigger
BEFORE INSERT
ON foo
FOR EACH ROW
EXECUTE PROCEDURE test_trigger('foo_id');

> EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO bar (baz) VALUES ($1)'
> USING NEW.quote_literal(pk_column);

NEW is really just a ROW structure so you can turn it into JSON and
dynamically pull out the values however you wish.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_trigger()
RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
DECLARE
pk_column VARCHAR;
pk_val INT;