Re: Proprietary software marketing on Wiki page -- AgensGraph Postgres fork

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proprietary software marketing on Wiki page -- AgensGraph Postgres fork
Date: 2019-11-02 14:57:49
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 4:55 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> On 11/1/19 11:17 AM, Justin Clift wrote:

> >> There are wiki pages where we link to 3rd party / proprietary solutions
> >> that provide information as well as links back to their websites e.g.
> >>

> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Guide_to_PostgreSQL_GUI_Tools
> >>
> >> but we don't have them at the top level. I think the URL immediately
> >> above is ok, as it is informational.
> >>
> >> That said, I agree with your assessment that we should not let the wiki
> >> be used for pure advertising purposes for proprietary products. We have
> >> a section of the website for that.
> >>
> >> I also found this one while looking through the recent changes:
> >>

> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Ecosystem:dbForge_Studio_for_PostgreSQL
> >>
> >> which looks like it was trying to subcategorize but not sure if it did,
> >> but likewise falls into the same camp.
> >>
> >> I would +1 for removing those pages.
> >
> > With the AgensGraph one, what's the problem with it? The page itself
> says
> > it's an OSS thing, though the further description sounds like "Open
> Core".
> >
> > We're not anti-commercial here (apart from abusive commercial things),
> > or at least we haven't been thus far.
>
> No one said "anti-commercial" -- as I said above, there are places on
> the website for promoting & describing proprietary products, including
> in subsections of the wiki itself.
>
> I've found the wiki is generally good for collaboration, fleshing out
> ideas, serving as a "catch all" for things that may be in flux (e.g. the
> "Drivers" page), and being generally informative about PostgreSQL, the
> project, and the ecosystem.
>
> I do agree with Peter that this does not seem to be the best use of the
> wiki.

+1. I have no problem linking to it, or with a short description, like we
have on the tools page in general. But I don't think we should be hosting
complete pages about external products. They have their own wiki (as part
of their github setup), and should be using that one.

--
Magnus Hagander