Re: Deprecations in authentication

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deprecations in authentication
Date: 2012-11-05 17:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > Magnus,
> >
> > * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> >> I have no idea what platform that would be. Both the standard
> >> implementations of krb5 have supported gssapi since forever. The only
> >> nonstandard environment we support there is Windows, and that one *only*
> >> has support for GSSAPI/SSPI.
> >
> > There are some older unixes that had their own Kerberos libraries,
> > that's what I was specifically referring to. I agree that there's
> > really only 2 implementations among the major free/open source
> > distributions and that those have supported GSSAPI for a long time.
> >
> >> Well, we can remove it and see if it breaks :)
> >
> > That was more-or-less what I was encouraging.. :D
> >
> > The only question there is if we're even building w/ krb5 and/or
> > gssapi support on the buildfarm by default today..?
>
> Well, looking at the BF:
>
> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
>
> ...it seems there are LOTS of machines building with krb5, and NONE with
> gssapi.

AFAICS there is no icon for gssapi. So your first statement is correct, but
the second one isn't.

That said, if we don't have animals building with gssapi, that's a problem
regardless of what we're doing here. What's the easiest way to make that
happen?

And can we get stats somehow of how many actually do build with gssapi even
though there is no icon for it? Andrew?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/