Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!]

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!]
Date: 2015-10-05 10:32:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Nathan Wagner <nw+pg(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org>
wrote:

> I don't have the original message for this thread, so I arbitrarily picked
> message to reply to.
>
> Since what has been asked for is a bug *tracker*, and we already have a
> bugs
> mailing list, I put together something.

FWIW, I think this is a good approach in general. This makes it a bug
*tracker*, rather than a "workflow enforcer". That depends on what we want
of course, but those are two very different things and many of the other
tools suggested are more workflow enforcers.

Something like debbugs falls in the same category though, I think, as being
mainly a tracker. Keeping the mailinglists as the first-class way of
communications, which is what we prefer.

It's dirt simple. If the system sees a message with 'Bug #(\d+)' in the
> subject line, it creates an entry in a bugs table with that bug number (if
> needed), and then marks the message as belonging to that bug. If there
> seems
> to be metadata about the bug in the format of the (unquoted)
>
> Bug reference:
> Logged by:
> Email address:
> PostgreSQL version:
> Operating system:
> Details:

FWIW, if we end up going with this method and it makes things easier, we
could easily add such metadata as X- headers to the original bug email,
thereby making it even easier (and safer) to parse out.

4: What should I do with emails that don't reference a bug id but seem to be
> talking about a bug?
>
> I suggest we do nothing with them as far as the bug tracker is concerned.
> If
> people want to mark their message as pertaining to a bug, they can put
> that in
> the subject line. However, I don't think a bug id can be assigned via
> email,
> that is, I think you have to use a web form to create a bug report with a
> bug
> id. Presumably that could change if whoever runs the bug counter wants it
> to.

It cannot now, but we can fix that. And if we want to use a tool like this,
we should fix it. Using something like submitbug(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot) But we
should also make it possible to assign a bug post-email. Someone might
email -general with a bug report, and it's a lot more friendly to just
assign ita bug than to say "hey take this thing you just wrote and re-paste
it into a form over here instead", just to get a duplicate posted into our
archivse.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/