Re: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Date: 2016-12-15 20:20:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 02:29:07PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> notes.
> make

> > > Yes, that is the usual approach.
> > >

> > So where in the docs should these go, then? We don't (currently) have a
> > place for this kind of doc. Appendices?
>
> You are saying this is more massive than any other change we have made
> in the past? In general, what need to be documented?

I don't necessarily think it's because it's more massive than any chance we
have made before. I think it's more that this is something that we probably
should've had before, and just didn't.

Right now we basically have a bulletpoint list of things that are new, with
a section about things that are incompatible. Having an actual section
with more detailed descriptions of how to handle these changes would
definitely be a win. it shouldn't *just* be for these changes of course, it
should be for any other changes that are large enough to benefit from more
than a oneliner about the fact that they've changed.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/