Re: This is not true or at the very least confusing

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: This is not true or at the very least confusing
Date: 2020-05-08 20:50:11
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 7:50 PM Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/backup-file.html says
> "The database server *must* be shut down in order to get a usable backup."
>
> Note: must is in italics.
>
> Then we have section 25.3.3.1. Making A Non-Exclusive Low-Level Backup
> which contradicts this statement with "Perform the backup, using any
> convenient file-system-backup tool such as tar or cpio (not pg_dump or
> pg_dumpall). It is neither necessary nor desirable to stop normal
> operation of the database while you do this."
>
> While I understand this is a complex topic. I think at the very least we
> can refer to section 25.3.3.1 in section 25.2. I also think that the
> discussion about frozen snapshots is ill advised. If I were doing it I
> would use pg_start_backup before using any file system snapshot.

Another thing we've talked about on this topic before (but never got around
to doing all the way) is to re-order things so that the current 25.3
chapter comes before 25.2. And making sure we put the simple yet correct
solutions like pg_basebackup first, and put complicated ones later.

And we should really chance the title of what's now 25.2 to explicitly be
called "offline file system backups" as well.

//Magnus