Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions
Date: 2024-04-02 09:31:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 7:47 PM Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
wrote:

> >> Before v10, the quarterly maintenance updates were unambiguously and
> >> always called patch releases
> >
> > I think that's highly revisionist history. I've always called them
> > minor releases, and I don't recall other people using different
> > terminology. I believe the leadoff text on
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
> >
> > is much older than when we switched from two-part major version
> > numbers to one-part major version numbers.
>
> Huh, that wasn’t what I expected. I only started (in depth) working with
> PG around 9.6 and I definitely thought of “6” as the minor version. This is
> an interesting mailing list thread.

That common misunderstanding was, in fact, one of the reasons to go to
two-part version numbers instead of 3. Because people did not realize that
the full 9.6 digit was the major version, and thus what was maintained and
such.

--
Magnus Hagander