Re: pg_receivewal makes a bad daemon

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal makes a bad daemon
Date: 2021-05-07 10:05:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 5:43 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 10:42 PM David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> > We do use at least one bit and piece from around the internet to make
> > our software usable, namely libreadline, the absence of which make
> > psql pretty much unusable.

FWIW, we did go with the idea of using readline. Which doesn't work
properly on Windows. So this is an excellent example of how we're
already not solving the problem for Windows users, but are apparently
OK with it in this case.

> I'm not talking about dependent libraries. We obviously have to depend
> on some external libraries; it would be crazy to write our own
> versions of libreadline, zlib, glibc, and everything else we use.

Why is that more crazy than building our own limited version of
supervisord? readline and glibc might be one thing, but zlib (at least
the parts we use) is probably less complex than building our own cross
platform daemon-management.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: https://www.hagander.net/