Re: PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 release announcement draft

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 release announcement draft
Date: 2020-09-16 12:47:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:34 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> On 9/16/20 1:08 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 2020-09-15 18:10, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> >> To upgrade to PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 from Beta 3 or an earlier version of
> >> PostgreSQL 13, you will need to use a strategy similar to upgrading
> >> between
> >> major versions of PostgreSQL (e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` /
> >> `pg_restore`).
> >
> > Is this correct? I don't see a catversion change between beta3 and rc1.
>
> We've typically recommended doing the pg_upgrade since they may be
> coming from a version with a lower catversion. I can change "you will
> need" to "you may need" to be more accurate, but then that leads to the
> question "who may need?".
>
> Perhaps the safest way to say it would be:
>
> "To upgrade to PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 from Beta 3 or an earlier version of
> PostgreSQL 13, you may need to use a strategy for upgrading between
> major versions of PostgreSQL (e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` /
> `pg_restore`). If you are unsure of the upgrade strategy to use, we
> recommend using the major version upgrade strategy."

> (Though, this is why when typically brought up, I leave it at need, as
> it's more succinct, and those who are typically upgrading between betas
> + rcs tend to be more in the weeds anyway ;)
>
> > Also, if correct, the word "similar" seems redundant or confusing here.
>
> So if we opt to keep the above language:
>
> "To upgrade to PostgreSQL 13 RC 1 from Beta 3 or an earlier version of
> PostgreSQL 13, you will need to use a major version upgrade strategy,
> e.g. `pg_upgrade` or `pg_dump` / `pg_restore`."

Maybe something like:

To upgrade from beta <when was the last catversion change>, you will need
to use a major version upgrade strategy..... To upgrade from beta <when
there was no catversion change>, just installing the new version and
restarting PostgreSQL is enough.

--
Magnus Hagander