Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hanna Wischmann <hanna(at)citusdata(dot)com>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Save the Date: PgConf Silicon Valley 2016
Date: 2016-03-03 09:14:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-announce

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On 3 Mar 2016, at 07:33, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>

> On Mar 3, 2016 01:51, "Josh berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hey guys, really??? Again you'll hurt us scheduling an important
> >> PostgreSQL event in the same period of other important event PGBR (The
> >> Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference)??
> >>
> >> Didn't you guys look at the event wiki page [1] to check if there are
> >> other important event at the same period?? We booked the PGBR on wiki in
> >> December 15, 2015 to occur November 16-18, 2016.
> >

> > One of the problems we run into here is that that wiki page lists some,
> but not all, major PostgreSQL events which have been booked (for example,
> pgConf.EU is not on it, nor is Postgres Open, even though they both have
> dates). There really is no canonical calendar, which leads to groups like
> Citus mistakenly booking conflicts because there's no good place for them
> to check.
> >
> > Given that the wiki page doesn't seem to work, do we have other
> suggestions on how we can track this to give people/companies "one place to
> check"?
> >

> We have an events listing on the main website where everybody is
> encouraged to add their events. I'd say that's as close to a canonical
> calendar as we have.
>
> If they can't be bothered to register there events there really isn't much
> we can do, but we're definitely not helping if we ask them to register them
> multiple times.
>
> /Magnus
>

> The problem is that there are normally weeks or months of planning for an
> event that happen before it's appropriate to announce or publish details
> like dates. It's highly likely that events will inadvertently clash
> sometimes as a result.

Good point. Though in this particular case it's refering to something that
was posted back in early December, so I don't think it applies in the
specific case. But it definitely applies in the generic one. (Looking at
the wiki - it's still not listed in our actual events database - but I just
realized that neither is pgconf.eu..)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/