Re: Policy on cross-posting to multiple lists

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Policy on cross-posting to multiple lists
Date: 2020-07-11 15:51:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:04 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > At this point, I'd suggest we start moderating such cross-posts, letting
> > moderators know that they should reject ones that aren't done with any
> > thought to it with a request to the submitter to please pick a list
> > instead of spamming them all.
>
> +1 ... the problem does seem to be getting worse lately.
>
> regards, tom lane

I finally managed to get around to pushing code into pglister that allows a
"moderate" policy to be configured for CC handling on lists, and not just
discard (it was originally decided we would never want this, but it's
pretty clear the ideas around this has changed).

We have a few internal lists set to discard at this point. And to be clear
of the differences:
* Allow -- any number of CCs are allowed
* Moderate -- if more than one list is in to or cc, email gets moderated
and sender gets a notice (with option to withdraw)
* Discard -- if more than one list in to or cc, email gets discarded, and
sender gets a notice

If an email is cced between a list that's moderate and one that's discard,
it gets discarded from the one list and moderated on the other one, and the
sender gets two separate notices. If it's cced between two lists that are
both in moderate, the sender gets one moderation notice for each of them.
If it's only cced between lists with discard policy, sender gets a single
notice.

I haven't (yet) reconfigured any lists. But right now all our general lists
have policy "allow". Should we more or less change all our public lists to
be "moderate"?

--
Magnus Hagander