Re: How to setup PostgreSQL using Windows Authentication?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Cheung <Pcheung(at)sfcu(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to setup PostgreSQL using Windows Authentication?
Date: 2012-06-13 04:38:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Jun 13, 2012 4:21 AM, "Craig Ringer" <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:

> On 06/13/2012 02:37 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:
>>
>> According to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/auth-methods.html,
SSPI only works when GSSAPI is available and GSSAPI support has to be
enabled when PostgreSQL is built. Does it mean that I need to uninstall
PostgreSQL and reinstall it with GSSAPI support? I used the One click
installer downloaded from http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows to
install PostgreSQL and I’m not sure how to include GSSAPI support.

> While I haven't used it myself, I'd be amazed if the one-click
installer's version of Pg wasn't built with GSSAPI and SSPI support. You
shouldn't have to do anything.

Gssapi is *not* required on windows. Sspi support is always available on
windows. Gssapi is only required to use Sspi on non-windows platforms.

Perhaps that sentence in the docs need to be changed to be more clear?

/Magnus