Re: 64-bit queryId?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit queryId?
Date: 2017-10-02 13:26:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:22 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> > Well these kinds of monitoring systems tend to be used by operations
> > people who are a lot more practical and a lot less worried about
> > theoretical concerns like that.
>
> +1, well said.

+1 as well. I think these people would be perfectly find by it changing
across a version upgrade as long as they know that's the deal. *Most* of
the time there is no version upgrade going on, so it would work fine that
time.

Most operations people already deal with a lot of such parameters changing
around. I'm sure most of them would be more than happy with an improvement,
even if it's not mathematically perfect.

--
Magnus Hagander