Re: xlog location arithmetic

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: xlog location arithmetic
Date: 2012-03-09 17:38:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 18:18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 15:37, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Why would it be useful to use pg_size_pretty on xlog locations?
>>> -1 because of the large expense of bigint->numeric->whatever conversion
>>> that would be added to existing uses.
>
>> Given the expense, perhaps we need to different (overloaded) functions instead?
>
> That would be a workable solution, but I continue to not believe that
> this is useful enough to be worth the trouble.

There's certainly some use to being able to prettify it. Wouldn't a
pg_size_pretty(numeric) also be useful if you want to pg_size_() a
sum() of something? Used on files it doesn't make too much sense,
given how big those files have to be, but it can be used on other
things as well...

I can see a usecase for having a pg_size_pretty(numeric) as an option.
Not necessarily a very big one, but a >0 one.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/