Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Unify some tar functionality across different parts

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Unify some tar functionality across different parts
Date: 2013-01-02 16:39:04
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> I'm not really sure what the best thing is to do here. We can either
>> use the fact that we know that uid_t and gid_t are "int" on all our
>> platforms, more or less, and change the tar api to use uid_t. Or put
>> the tar functions in their own header and make sure we don't include
>> that one anywhere that we include the perl headers.
>
> Why are these very tar-specific functions being declared in such a
> globally visible spot as port.h? That seems like a bad idea on its
> face. IMO stuff in port.h ought to be about as globally applicable
> as, say, malloc().

It's where we put most of the things from src/port in.

I take it you suggest moving it to a special say include/pgtar.h file?

> If there's actually a reason for that sort of namespace abuse, then
> change their parameters to int --- IIRC, the tar format can't support
> UIDs wider than 32 bits anyway.

Andrew suggested #ifndef'ing the declarations the same way that the
typedefs for uid_t and gid_t are done as another optin. I don't really
find either one of them non-kludgy :)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/