Re: small pg_basebackup display bug

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: small pg_basebackup display bug
Date: 2012-12-16 17:21:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:
> On Sat, December 15, 2012 14:10, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:
>>> from 9.3devel (this morning):
>>

>>> The truncated name in parentheses only shows up during the filling of the new PGDATA; when 100%
>>> is
>>> reached that part of the displayed name is deleted. That's another bug in itself, I think:
>>> shouldn't the end-state of that line also display the parenthesized name?
>>
>> Those are both intentional. It may be argued that the intention shoud
>> be changed :), but it's not a bug in itself - it's acting like
>> intended.
>>

> Fair enough. How about just changing the possible length to enable display somewhat longer names
> like I used? It truncates to 30 characters; perhaps something like 100 would be more reasonable?

The general idea with the selection was that it shouldn't truncate on
a "normal terminal". 30 might be a bit on the aggressive side, but 100
would be guaranteed to almost always do it (since there is also other
text on the line than just the filename). I'm not sure if we can
figure out the size of the screen in a platform independent way
without going through a lot of extra work though - but maybe we can?

> That would make such a truncation less frequent, and after all a truncated display is not
> particular useful.

Agreed - it's useful during testing, but not in a typical production
use. It might actually be more useful if it's truncated in in the
other end (keeping the last 30 instead of the first 30 chars)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/