Re: pg_replication_slots page links

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Şahap Aşçı <sahapasci(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_replication_slots page links
Date: 2017-11-10 14:55:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> I think this can be blamed on a9ba6195f, which I only back-patched as
> >> far as 9.5 --- guess I didn't realize that the bogus section name
> >> existed further back. So I think the answer to your direct question
> >> is "a single page", but maybe we should instead proceed by bringing 9.4
> >> into line with the later branches and then updating the docs?
>
> > Adding the mapping to the website was a single row in a db table, and is
> > already done, so it wasn't a lot of work. But there might be other
> reasons
> > to change it of course, for consistency.
>
> > Of course, actually *changing* it in 9.4 now will break any external
> links
> > pointing to it. Links within our own documentation will pick it up and
> > change accordingly, but anything that's linking from the outside will
> > generate 404s.
>
> The db table doesn't result in generating redirects then, I take it?

Nope, the db table doesn't have the versions. It's just:

pgweb=> select * from docsalias where id=6;
id | file1 | file2
6 | catalog-pg-replication-slots.html | view-pg-replication-slots.html
(1 row)

So trying to figure out exactly what and where to redirect would be way too
hard to get right I think.

> Since you already have a fix, I suppose we should leave well enough
> alone. This isn't a big enough deal to expend a lot of sweat on.

Agreed.

--
Magnus Hagander