Help text for pg_basebackup -R

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Help text for pg_basebackup -R
Date: 2017-02-15 16:40:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The current help text for pg_basebackup -R is "write recovery.conf after
backup".

This says nothing about what it actually does. I've had a number of people
ask me now why that's not default "because you need a recovery.conf to
restore from backup". The point being that it doesn't say anything about
the fact that it writes the file *for replication*. The help page does, but
not the message.

I propose a new message per the attached patch.

Comments?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_basebackup_recovery_help.patch text/x-patch 805 bytes