Re: Redefine default result from PQhost()?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Redefine default result from PQhost()?
Date: 2015-11-27 10:00:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> I think we should [ return DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR not NULL ]
>
> > I agree with this change in genera. But I wonder if there's a risk here
> > that we break some applications isnt' it? It's clearly a backwards
> > incompatible change, so wouldn't it require a bump of libpq version?
>
> I don't see why it would need a libpq version bump, as it's not an ABI
> breakage. As for breaking application logic, it's true that any app code
> that is explicitly checking for NULL would become dead code, but that
> seems pretty harmless. It's already the case that apps should be prepared
> to get back an explicit socket directory path spec; that would merely
> become a more common case than before.

Hmm. Good point. I didn't realize they already had to be ready to get a
non-default path back.

Of course, the documentation just says it'll return a hostname. It should
probably mention that it can return the unix socket path as well - but
that's something that's missing already.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/