Re: file_fdw vs relative paths

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Li Japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: file_fdw vs relative paths
Date: 2020-08-31 11:16:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:10 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 9:28 AM Li Japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 25, 2020, at 8:26 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I tested back to 9.5 too:
>>
>> CREATE EXTENSION file_fdw;
>> CREATE SERVER pgconf FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER file_fdw;
>> CREATE FOREIGN TABLE pgconf (line TEXT) SERVER pgconf OPTIONS ( filename
>> 'postgresql.conf', format 'text', delimiter E'\x7f' );
>> SELECT * FROM pgconf;
>> # -----------------------------
>> # PostgreSQL configuration file
>> # -----------------------------
>> #
>> # This file consists of lines of the form:
>> …
>>

>> The file_fdw extension was introduced by
>> commit 7c5d0ae7078456bfeedb2103c45b9a32285c2631,
>> and I tested it supports relative paths. This is a doc bug.
>>

> Well technically it can also have been a code bug but yes if so it is one
> that has lived since day 1. But given that nobody has chimed in to say they
> think that's what it is for a month, I think we'll conclude it's a docs
> bug.
>
> Bruce, I've applied and backpatched your docs patch for this.

Gah, and of course right after doing that, I remembered I wanted to get a
second change in :) To solve the "who's this Josh" question, I suggest we
also change the example to point to the data/log directory which is likely
to exist in a lot more of the cases. I keep getting people who ask "who is
josh" based on the /home/josh path. Not that it's that important, but...

--
Magnus Hagander

Attachment Content-Type Size
whoisjosh.patch text/x-patch 436 bytes