Re: Numeric alignment in query grid

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Numeric alignment in query grid
Date: 2012-06-27 14:58:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Something that's annoyed me for a long time is that all fields are
>> left-aligned in the query grid. It's a lot easier to read numeric
>> fields when they are right-justified.
>>
>> Attached patch right-justifies fields that are numeric.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) does this seem like a reasonable way of doing it?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 2) do we want to always do this (like this patch), or do we need to
>> create a setting for it?
>
> I don't think there's a great need for a setting, though, we do have
> lots of room for them now, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to avoid annoying
> users that like the old way.

We have room, but adding settings for the sake of settings doesn't
exactly contribute to usability...

How about we do it without the setting, and then we can add the
setting if somebody complains? ;)

(Oh, and I don't suppose i can sneak this into 1.16, can I? :P)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/