Order dependency in function test

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Order dependency in function test
Date: 2021-04-08 10:04:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Looking at https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=prion&dt=2021-04-08%2009%3A43%3A13
which broke with the patch to add pg_wait_backend_termination().

AFAICT the change is that the order of rows coming back from "SELECT
routine_name, sequence_name FROM
information_schema.routine_sequence_usage" has changed. This test was
added in f40c6969d0e ("Routine usage information schema tables"),

It does not change consistently, as it works fine on my machine and
has also passed on other buildfarm animals (including other archs and
compilers).

My guess is that maybe the query plan is different, ending up with a
different order, since there is no explicit ORDER BY in the query.

Is there a particular thing we want to check on it that requires it to
run without ORDER BY, or should we add one to solve the problem? Or,
of course, am I completely misunderstanding it? :)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: https://www.hagander.net/