Re: "Bugs" CF?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: "Bugs" CF?
Date: 2015-05-18 17:01:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 12, 2015 4:13 PM, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> > On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
wrote:
> > > concept
> > >
> > > I like the tag idea.
> >
> > Are there other things you would consider tags for as well? As in
should we
> > if we do this look at a generic tag system, or just a "tag this is a
> > bugfix"?
>
> I was thinking a generic system though I'm not sure that the tags should
> be free-form.. My first thought is a "release" tag, ie: 9.4.2 or
> something. Having a 'committed' + '9.4.2' view would be kind of neat.

I am definitely not sold on the idea of per release tag. I think that
unnecessarily duplicates information that is already in git and belongs
there. For that, I'd rather add a field with the commit id something ended
up with (more than one per entry possible of course). But I'd like to hear
from others as well.

> > > The biggest issue that I see with this is, again, trying to make sure
> > > people know that they *should* put bug patches into the CF and make it
> > > clear *which* CF to put them into.
> > >
> > > I don't know that we've even got an answer for the second question
> > > currently, do we? My thought is "whatever one people are looking at
> > > now" but I'm guessing others feel differently.
> >
> > I would say it should go into whatever CF is currently "Open". Don't
treat
> > thems eparately from a submission POV, other than adding the tag. Only
from
> > a "consumption" POV, through the special view.
>
> Yeah, but "Open" currently means June. Perhaps that's not an issue but
> it still feels awkward to me.

To view bugs you would not care about that though and just look at the
consolidated report.

/Magnus