Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Review of VS 2010 support patches
Date: 2012-01-02 14:51:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 2, 2012 12:02 AM, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 12/31/2011 06:10 PM, Brar Piening wrote:
>>
>> Brar Piening wrote:

>>> I was able to nail down the problem.
>>

>> In the absence of reaction, to keep my promise, I'm sending the attached
Patch which restores the previous working behaviour for Visual Studio 2011.
>> Note however that it also restores the previous conflicts with errno.h
which aren't neccessarily a problem, but might be in future.

> Yeah, are we bothered by this?:
>
> + * For Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and above we intentionally
redefine
> + * the regular Berkeley error constants and set them to the WSA
constants.
> + * Note that this will break if those constants are used for anything
else
> + * than Windows Sockets errors.

If it's exposed to libpq clients, that's perhaps a problem. If it's just
internally and possibly for server extensions I don't think it's a problem
- unless it creates an incompatibility between msvc and mingw, but I don't
think it should?

/Magnus