Re: PG list descriptions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG list descriptions
Date: 2018-08-16 11:53:47
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> > On Aug 9, 2018, at 4:38 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 03:08:17PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm suggesting updated language for the list descriptions.
> >> I couldn't find an address for list admins, so I'm hoping some of them
> live
> >> here (by design or by coincidence).
> >>
> >> On this page: https://www.postgresql.org/list/
> >> I suggest to change from:
> pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing list. If it is a more technical
> question about how PostgreSQL internals work, we recommend subscribing to
> the pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing list.
> >> to:
> a question about or problem using PostgreSQL, we recommend the
> pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing list, which is monitored by many
> experienced PostgreSQL users who may offer advice. For discussion about
> development of PostgreSQL itself or questions about its internals, we
> recommend the pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing list.
> >>
> >> Here: https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-general/
> >> I suggest to change from:
> test, and bug problems, most new users will probably only be interested in
> this mailing list (unless they want to contribute to development or
> documentation). All non-bug related questions regarding PostgreSQL's
> version of SQL, and all installation related questions that do not involve
> bugs or failed compiles, should be restricted to this area. Please note
> that many of the developers monitor this area.
> >> to:
> software developers and database and system administrators. Topics include
> advanced technical questions as well as general discussion. Many of the
> PostgreSQL developers monitor and contribute here.
> >
> > Can someone reply to this suggestion? It looks valid to me. I don't
> > see this text in gitweb so it must be in a database somewhere.
>
> It’s in pgarchives. It’s not accessible via the Django admin. I believe
> Magnus would have to handle it.

Not even that, it comes out of pglister. For the second par tthat is. The
first part of the suggestion is in the pgarchives code, isn't it?

That said, I had this one on my list and was hoping to see some people
comment on if it was a good idea or not. I'm less sure about the second
change -- but if others are, then I will of course go ahead and make the
change :)

--
Magnus Hagander