Re: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof
Date: 2012-06-06 08:09:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> If that is the case, is there a convention we can use to separate the
> parts of the connection string (in both representations) into the
> parts sent to the server and the part that the client needs?  We
> already abuse this a little bit because URI syntax (in general, not
> just our rendition of it) leaves little room for extension for
> parameters on the client side.  Consider ?sslmode=require.
>
> In both representations, the net effect of a typo would be that
> instead of magically reading some properties on the client side,
> they'd be sent to the server.  How often is this going  to be so wrong
> that one cannot send a response from the server indicating to the user
> their error?  On casual inspection it doesn't seem like prohibitively
> often, but I haven't mulled over that for very long.

I think that's an excellent example of this being a bad idea. If you
mis-spell sslmode=require, that should absolutely result in an error
on the client side. Otherwise, you might end up sending your password
(or other details that are not as sensitive, but still sensitive) over
an unencrypted connection. If you wait for the error from the server,
it's too late.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/