Re: perltidy version

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: perltidy version
Date: 2018-03-02 15:01:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> In that case, we should at least update our instructions for how to
> install
> >> it. But that's definitely a better option than hosting our own copy.
>
> > But surely the idea of updating the version to use should be considered
> > further? Maybe they have even improved the output ;-) Has anyone
> > looked?
>
> +1. We're not that far away from it being time to run pgindent/perltidy,
> so now would be a good time to consider whether we like a newer version's
> result better.
>
> If we do decide to stick on the old version, then yes, improve the
> pointer.

For example, Debian ships with 20140328, which produces the attached diff.
I'm not sure if we want to go to whatever is a "common version on most
platforms" today, or just "whatever is latest" if we do upgrade. AFAICT
RHEL 7 seems to be on 20121207, RHEL 6 on 20090616. And in Ubuntu, 14.04
has 20120701, 16.04 has 20140328, and current devel has 20140328. In
general there seems to be very little overlap there, except Debian and
Ubuntu covers the same versions.

(Note that this diff is against HEAD -- it's possible a perltidy run with
the current version would also generate a diff, I have not compared them to
each other)

--
Magnus Hagander

Attachment Content-Type Size